Re: VT and VT_CONSOLE not present with menuconfig if INPUT=m (was: 2.5.67+ BK-current fails to boot on Athlon MP)

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@infradead.org)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 13:58:49 EST

> But this brings me to the main issue .. any reason why you need
> to have INPUT=y to be able to select CONFIG_VT and CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE ?
> If INPUT=m for instance, it is not present ...

The VT system totally depends on the input api now. Previously you could
build the VT system without selecting CONFIG_INPUT at all. Of course this
caused build issues. As for selecting the input layer as a module you had
the issue of booting but not having a usable keyboard. Makes it a
challenge to type insmod input.o. Someday I plan to make the VT system
modular (useful for embedded systems).

> Won't it be better to make CONFIG_INPUT a bool (only y or n), as with
> this setup, you can still compile the other input drivers as modules ..

For embedded systems you don't really need the VT console. The type build
will be serial console, input api and fbdev. No need for a VT console.
On these devices you have serious constrants. So having the inout layer
modular is a plus.