Re: 2.5.66-mm3 - bad ext2 performance ?

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@clusterfs.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 16:24:21 EST

On Apr 15, 2003 14:00 -0700, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> This is kind of extreem. But I have 1070 LUNS and I mkfs/mounted (ext2) all
> these and running "fsx" on all of them.
>
> I see very bad IO rate on the machine. fsx with O_DIRECT seems to be
> doing okay. Any ideas on why regular filesystem (buffered) IO sucks ?
> I dont' see even cache increasing ..

Depending on what parameters you have passed to fsx, it isn't necessarily
going to be doing a lot of I/O. The default for the fsx I have is to max
the file size out at 256kB (on average it will be about half of that), and
you have 1070 instances running, so that agrees with the ~110MB of cache
difference between O_DIRECT and non-O_DIRECT.

Also, in the non-O_DIRECT case fsx will be doing reads from cache and not
disk, so there is no reason to see anything in "bi". The writes may or
may not be a problem, as fsx is "truncate happy", so some large amounts of
data that are "written" are immediately truncated again. For O_DIRECT,
everything is going straight to/from disk, hence much higher IO numbers.

What you should really be checking is how many "ops per second" you are
getting from fsx with and without O_DIRECT. It would be my guess that
the O_DIRECT fsx is actually _slower_ because it is doing more I/O (and
waiting for it to complete). Run each fsx with some fixed number of ops
(-N <num ops>) and see how long it takes for both tests to complete.

> vmstat:
> ======
>
> procs memory swap io system cpu
> r b w swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id
> 1089 0 3 0 2597396 169324 219896 0 0 0 2304 1221 330 68 32 0
>
> vmstat output for O_DIRECT (fsx):
> procs memory swap io system cpu
> r b w swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id
> 36 1034 5 0 2756980 150676 83844 0 0 43269 57496 9446 8861 70 30 0

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger