Re: PATCH: MTRR save and restore.

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@ucw.cz)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 06:52:50 EST

Hi!

> I'd like to see the rest of this thread ;)

> > > It's useless bloat.
>
> What exactly is useless bloat? Based on the level of indentation, I'd
> assume that Richard said that...care to elaborate?

Richard claims that MTRR save/restore is "useless bloat" and that it
can be don in userspace. He wants userland daemon to do it. I believe
that's bad idea (for reasons like suspend when battery low).

[This is what I said]
> > There's no helper daemon, nor I plan to make one. Notice that mtrr
> > stuff is shared between S3 (== suspend to ram) and swsusp. Both S3 and
> > swsusp can be used to do some pretty important stuff (machine
> > overheats or battery critically low -> suspend somewhere), so I do not
> > think userland daemon is good idea.
> >
> > It can be dependend on CONFIG_PM; if you still think that's too much
> > bloat, it could be dependend on CONFIG_SLEEP which could be only
> > compiled when S3 or swsusp is selected (but I feel that would be
> > overdesign).
>
> Yes, that's too much.
>
> MTRRs are one interface to an x86 CPU. CPUs are already represented in the
> device tree. The proper thing to do would be to have the CPU suspend/
> resume methods save and restore the MTRRs. It still requires an #ifdef in
> the CPU code, but with a little work, could be massaged down a ways.

Yep, agreed, mtrrs need in-kernel save/restore support.
                                                                Pavel

[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]