Re: Reduce struct page by 8 bytes on 64bit

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 09:26:38 EST

   From: Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de>
   Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:07:15 +0200

   How so? Of course I could write an generic set_bit32, but the question
   is if these bit operations would be still atomic on SMP and not conflict with
   fields occuping the same 8 byte slot. I remember you flaming someone
   some time ago because he used set_bit in an atomic fashion on a type smaller
   than unsigned long for example.

It's OK if you align the pointer to 8 bytes, and subsequently the bit
offset as appropriate. :-)