Re: firmware separation filesystem (fwfs)

From: Manuel Estrada Sainz (ranty@debian.org)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 22:31:54 EST

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 07:00:00PM -0700, Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:

> > From: David Gibson [mailto:david@gibson.dropbear.id.au]
> >
> > Incidentally another approach that also avoids nasty ioctl()s would be
> > to invoke the userland helper with specially set up FD 1, which lets
> > the kernel capture the program's stdout.
>
> I think this makes too many assumptions specially taking into
> account that most hotplug stuff are shell scripts - they are
> probably going to be writing all kinds of stuff to stdout.

 Well, FD 3 could be used instead and "cat firmware_image >&3". shell
 scripts should not be writing to FD 3.

> With the risk of repeating myself (again) and being a PITA,
> I really think it'd be easier to copy the firmware file to a
> /sysfs binary file registered by the device driver during
> initialization; then the driver can wait for the file to be
> written with a valid firmware before finishing the init
> sequence. The infrastructure is already there (or isn't ...
> is it?).

 I don't know that much about sysfs, after a little investigation, it
 seams like sysfs entries are restricted in size to PAGE_SIZE, which on
 i386 is 4K, and ezusb firmware is already 6.9K in size.

 I would really appreciate someone more knowledgeable than myself
 commenting on the possibility of extending sysfs to fill this gap.

 Have a nice day

         ranty

--
--- Manuel Estrada Sainz <ranty@debian.org>