Re: kernel support for non-English user messages

From: Eric Altendorf (EricAltendorf@orst.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 13:02:15 EST

On Monday 14 April 2003 10:29, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Personally, I don't write documentation. I don't much even write
> comments in my code. My personal feeling is that as long as
> functions are small and readable (and logical), and global
> variables have good names, that's all I need to do. Others - who do
> care about comments and docs - can do that part.

This is true, even from a software engineering perspective.

If you find yourself having to write comments and documentation to
explain your code, probably your identifiers are not well named, your
functions are not short enough, and your code is not well structured
enough.

Ideal code is completely self-documenting.

Eric