Re: [patch] printk subsystems

From: Martin Hicks (mort@wildopensource.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 10:56:04 EST

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 12:43:58PM +0000, Daniel Stekloff wrote:

> > > It would be nice. Unfortunately, it's only a nifty pipe-dream at the
> > > moment, unless some lucky volunteer would like to step forward. ;)
> >
> > I guess my question is this:
> >
> > Is the patch I posted useful enough to go into the kernel? I think it
> > is. It introduces very little overhead, and provides most of the
> > functionality that you guys are discussing. It does use sysctl, and not
> > sysfs but does that really matter?
>

> I would rather not see the filtering applied to printk specifically like
> you've done it. I think this is still another stop gap measure for buffer
> overruns. I would like to see for:
>
> 1) Buffer overruns - a mechanism that wouldn't hit a buffer overrun, say a
> relayfs implementation of printk that could be easily configured in, or a
> mechanism that knows/reports when a overrun has happened like the Linux event
> logging project.

I don't think relayfs solves the problem either. This just adds an
extra dependency for yet another pseudo-filesystem. printk is something
that needs to "just work" even if the kernel is in the midst of
crashing. Adding the extra complexity of all printk going out through a
filesystem/buffer layer is not desirable, IMHO.

It seems that the relayfs solution for buffer overflows in the printk
buffer is to just make lots of buffers. I really want to be able to
turn off prink logging for stuff I don't care about, without the
complexity of having fifteen different logs to look in and changing
how get get log info from the kernel to syslog.

> 2) Message filtering - a mechanism above printk that allows filtering on the
> fly and built into the new device model. Such a mechanism as Patrick
> described that could be put into the dev_* macros in device.h.

I haven't looked into these features too much. Is every piece of
hardware in a machine considered a device?
i.e., can messages from CPU probing, Memory, NUMA nodes, etc. be
filtered separately while changing the logging level on these devices at
runtime?

The dev_* printk macros are all, of course, resolved at runtime. How
does one control these printk's at runtime?

mh

--
Wild Open Source Inc.                  mort@wildopensource.com