Re: ARP

From: William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 12:10:31 EST

Good afternoon, Chris,

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Christoph Pleger wrote:

> I want to use FreeS/WAN with kernel 2.4. For the configuration I have to
> reach with FreeS/WAN I need the ability to tell a host that it shall
> accept traffic which is directed to another host. I tried doing that by
> the user space program arp, but it did not work and after that I read in
> the manual page of arp that since kernel version 2.2.0 setting an arp
> entry for a whole subnet is no longer supported.
>
> Is there something else I can do to tell the hosts in a subnet to send
> packets for a specific not to that host itself but to another host? This
> should be done transparently so that the hosts do not know that their ip
> packets do not go directly to the destination.

        Proxy arp _does_ work, to the est of my knowledge, still. You may
need to put in the entries for each workstation, that that's a simple
shell loop in your network startup.

http://www.stearns.org/doc/proxyarp-howto

        Please trim the to list on any replies.
        Cheers,
        - Bill

        ..all in all it's just another rule in the firewall.
        /Ping Flood/
(Courtesy of Hirling Endre)