Re: ac97, alc101+kt8235 sound (2.4.21-pre7-ac1)

From: Benson Chow (blc@q.dyndns.org)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 22:37:13 EST

Seems that the VT8235 has some issues with ac97 recording. Using aumix,
and setting the input to line-in, cat /dev/dsp returns the same byte over
and over again, as if there is no signal. Dumping this file and dumping
back to /dev/dsp confirms the silence - no sound got record. Messing
around with the mixer doesn't appear to do much. The mixer subsystem, I
can control the volume of line-in and line-out, and hear the volume going
up and down. I also tried Windows, seems it works fine in Windows.

I tried the same command sequence on my SiS735 (i810-compatible) AC97
machine and the results differ (it works :-) So it seems that there's
something that's wrong with the kt8235 side of things?

Playback works fine. Just cannot record. Is the kt8235 driver not quite
primetime yet?

Thanks,

-bc

On 15 Apr 2003, Alan Cox wrote:

> Date: 15 Apr 2003 12:36:51 +0100
> From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> To: Benson Chow <blc+lkml@q.dyndns.org>
> Subject: Re: ac97, alc101+kt8235 sound
>
> On Maw, 2003-04-15 at 12:49, Benson Chow wrote:
> > hoping that these via chips were pretty close. Unfortunately no, it
> > still doesn't work. It did, however, find the AC97 codec fine (I added
> > some printk's), but no sound is produced. Any ideas on how to get this
> > vt8235-based motherboard sound working? (and ALSA-0.9.2 seems to do
> > nothing but segfault it seems.)
>
> See 2.4.21pre - that has the driver for VIA8233/5

WARNING: All HTML emails get deleted. DO NOT SEND HTML MAIL.