Re: Kernel<->Userspace API issue

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert (gilbertd@treblig.org)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 06:19:35 EST

* Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk) wrote:
> I think this is a case in point that our policy on "userspace must not
> include kernel headers" is completely wrong when it comes to user
> space interfaces. I believe we need is a clear set of defined user
> space interface headers which contain the definition of structures and
> numbers shared between user space and kernel space. ie, include/abi
> or some such.

Yes!!! For those of us who need (for various reasons) to work below the
level of GLibc it is currently a nightmare trying to pick apart the
calling conventions for each syscall.

Of course it is not only syscalls; but also signal numbering and other
constants.

(Oh bonus points for sharing as much of this between architectures as
possible and just having the differences in architecture specific
files).

Dave

 ---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /