Re: mknod64(1)

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 16:24:53 EST

Followup to: <1050700383.745.48.camel@localhost>
By author: Robert Love <rml@tech9.net>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> So I wrote a mknod64(1) tool, so we can play with 64-bit device
> numbers. It is available at:
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/mknod64
>
> for testing. And that is really its whole purpose because I see no
> reason why the mknod in coreutils will not eventually support
> mknod64(2).

Well, actually, once glibc is updated to call SYS_mknod64 and have the
right MAJOR() and MINOR() macros, it shouldn't require any changes to
mknod(1).

What would probably be useful for mknod(1), if it doesn't already, is
to allow the major/minor to be specified in any of the standard bases,
i.e. using strtoul(...,...,0).

I belive HP/UX (which have had 32-bit minors for a long time) actually
had ls -l display hexadecimal minors. I am not advocating that,
however, it probably would break too many scripts.

        -hpa