Re: oops in 2.5.68-mm1

From: Andrei Ivanov (andrei.ivanov@ines.ro)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 10:58:33 EST

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Andrei Ivanov wrote:

> I'm not sure that this caused it, but I was doing an 'emerge rsync' in my
> gentoo, and when 'emerge' was 'Updating Portage cache', the system was
> slow, top or jed wouldn't start, and there was a 'chmod'(started probably
> by 'emerge') in D state.

Hmm... I think I found what caused it. I've mounted a smb share, went into
a directory on the share, where there are 2 files:

-r-------- 1 root root 48281 Apr 11 21:05 Cats & Dogs (RO).txt
-r-------- 1 root root 730341376 Apr 11 21:04 Cats And Dogs.avi

I typed less Cats<tab>, and then &<tab>, and here it was stuck, and the
kernel oopsed. If I type less Cats<tab>, and then \&<tab>, it works, but
without the \ in front of the &, the shell gets stuck in D state.

The remote host, from which I mounted the share, runs
kernel 2.4.20-gentoo-r1.