Re: Are linux-fs's drive-fault-tolerant by concept?

From: Stephan von Krawczynski (skraw@ithnet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 06:03:41 EST

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:35:21 +0100 (BST)
John Bradford <john@grabjohn.com> wrote:

> > > Modern disks generally do this kind of thing themselves. By the time
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > How many times does Stephan need to say it? 'Generally do'
> > is not enough, because it means 'sometimes they dont'.
>
> OK, _ALL_ modern disks do.

Stop this thread, we are arguing with god.

> Name an IDE or SCSI disk on sale today that doesn't retry on write
> failiure. Forget I said 'Generally do'.

IBM DMVS18V (SCSI)
Maxtor ATA133 160 GB DiamondMax Plus.

Maybe they _should_, but I can tell you they in fact sometimes don't (IBM very,
very seldom, Maxtor just about all the time)

> > Most filesystems *are* designed with badblock lists and such,
> > it is possible to teach fs drivers to tolerate write errors
> > by adding affected blocks to the list and continuing (as opposed
> > to 'remounted ro, BOOM!'). As usual, this can only happen if someone
> > will step forward and code it.
> >
> > Do you think it would be a Wrong Thing to do?
>
> Yes, I do.
>
> It achieves nothing useful, and gives people a false sense of security.

How do _you_ know that? What makes _you_ argue for what _I_ think is useful and
_my_ sense of security? You are on thin ice ...

> We have moved on since the 1980s, and I believe that it is now up to
> the drive firmware, or the block device driver to do this, it has no
> place in a filesystem.

Interestingly I owned one of those 30 MB MFM Seagate howling drives back in the
80s. I had no errors on it until I threw it away for its unbelievable noise
rate. Today I throw away one (very low-noise) disk about every week for
shooting yet another fs somewhere near midnight.
Indeed we moved on, only the direction looks sometimes questionable ...

Regards,
Stephan