Q: which archs differ between VERIFY_READ and VERIFY_WRITE in access_ok?

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 15:25:35 EST

I noticed that access_ok receives a flag that specifies read or write
access.
Do any archs rely on that flag, except 80386?

For example sys_poll contains:

> if (copy_from_user(pp->entries, ufds + nfds-i,
> sizeof(struct pollfd)*pp->len)) {
> err = -EFAULT;
> goto out_fds;
> }
> i -= pp->len;

[snip: code that allocates memory, sleep until data is around, ...]

> if(__put_user(fds[j].revents, &ufds->revents))
> goto out_fds;

If an arch really treats VERIFY_READ differently that VERIFY_WRITE, then
this would be wrong.

Are there ports that perform some checks only for VERIFY_WRITE? I have a
fix for 80386.

--
    Manfred