What's the deal McNeil? Bad interactive behavior in X w/ RH's 2.4.18

From: Michael B Allen (mba2000@ioplex.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 02:48:21 EST

I'm running Red Hat 7.3 with their stock 2.4.18-3 kernel on an IBM
T30. Once every few hours X locks up for 5-10 seconds while the disk
grinds. If I type in an Xterm the characters are not echoed until the
disk grinding stops. Then they all come out in a bunch and life is back
to normal.

I asked about this on kernelnewbies but the only response was something
regarding some kind of change to the 'elevator code' but they didn't
know of a solution.

I would like very much for this behavior to go away as it is extremely
annoying. If there is a patch please let me know where I can get it.

Thanks,
Mike

--
A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are