Need help with lockups on tyan s2460 motherboard in SMP mode

From: James Strandboge (jamie@tpptraining.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 08:38:29 EST

I have googled a lot on this issue, but if there is somewhere else I can
look, please tell me.

I have a dual AMD 1600+ (MP processors) system with tyan s2460
motherboard that freezes with no error messages in syslog. I have read
(among a lot of other things):
http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~etumenba/smp-howto/SMP-HOWTO.html

and what I have done so far is:

replaced power supply with Enermax 550
BIOS upgrade to 1.05
kernels used are 2.4.18 from debian, 2.4.20 and 2.4.21-pre6
compiled in acpi (acpi-200303028-2.4.21-pre6)
compiled out acpi
compiled with and without Athlon support
Currently using 2.4.21-pre6 for i386

booted with combinations of the following:
noapic
noacpi
acpi=off
nopentium

tried the following bios settings in various combinations:
MultiProcessor specification 1.1 and 1.4
Use PCI Interrupt Entries in MP as yes and no
enabled/disabled acpi
enabled/disabled power management

The only way I have found to reliably crash the system is to compile two
kernels simultaneously while in smp mode. If I boot with 'nosmp' the
system seems ok (still running and compiling after 9 hours).

Because the system runs ok with one processor, it leads me to think it
may be kernel code, and not heat or memory related. Though I guess it
could be the motherboard still. Is this a correct assessment? I'd be
happy to send any additional information.

I am new to SMP, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Jamie Strandboge

--
James Strandboge