Re: objrmap and vmtruncate

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 13:08:51 EST

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:21:10AM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 06:57:46PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > could we focus and solve the remap_file_pages current breakage first?
> > I proposed my fix that IMHO is optimal and simple (I recall Hugh also
> > proposed something on these lines):
> > 1) allow it only inside mmap(VM_NONLINAER) vmas only
> > 2) have the VM skip over VM_NONLINEAR vmas enterely
> > 3) set vma->vm_file to NULL for those vams and forbid paging and allow
> > multiple files to be mapped in the same nonlinaer vma (add an fd
> > parameter to the syscall)
> > 4) enable it as non-root (w/o IPC_LOCK capability) only with a sysctl
> > enabled
> > 5) avoid any overhead connected with the potential paging of the
> > nonlinaer vmas
>
> Some of these are controversial; it _can_ be fixed in other ways, but

which ones, could you elaborate? I don't see anything controversial in
the above points.

> I'm trying to be objective here, though my own bias is in favor of full
> retention of functionality (i.e. best of both worlds, maximal code
> complexity).

I'm not at all against code complexity when it is worthwhile, but given
the potential ram and cpu overhead of the complex code and considering
this stuff should be ready in a few months I would prefer to keep things
simple. Especially because if you really want, as said you could make
things complex (and slower ;) behind this new API w/o userspace
noticing. Then you can drop the sysctl (or make it insignificant).

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 06:57:46PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > 6) populate it with pmd on hugetlbfs
> > 7) if a truncate happens leave the page pinned outside the pagecache
> > but still mapped into userspace, we don't care about it and it will
> > be freed during the munmap of the nonlinear vma
>
> I'll implement the hugetlbfs part; it should fit nicely into the
> infrastructure introduced with the rest of the virtwin patch, all it
> really needs is some additional error checking. hugetlbfs is 100%
> CAP_IPC_LOCK -- there should be no issue under either scheme.

yes.

Andrea