Re: 2.5 kernel hangs system

From: Murray J. Root (murrayr@brain.org)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 21:31:28 EST

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 06:55:11PM -0700, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> >> ksymoops? I thought 2.5 kernels didn't need ksymoops anymore and that
> >> function names were automatically "guessed" in call stack traces.
> >>

> > IFF you use "include symbols" when building you shouldn't need ksymoops.
> > IMO, if you're using 2.5.x you really should include the symbols - chances
> > are you'll need em.
>
> Maybe we are reading this differently, but it sounded to me like the
> original system hang never reached the kernel | system log and that
> some hex codes were the only clues. In that case, pushing them thru
> ksymoops does still make some sense, doesn't it?
> How else would you determine where the hang occurred?

I read it that he was getting an oops with just hex values cause
he didn't have the symbols included (note the reference to "it
just gives hex codes"). I could be wrong, since I'm only looking
at the quote of a quote of someone's interpretation. :)
With symbols included an oops DOES print the actual call trace in
readable form. (I've seen enough oops to be certain of that :)

--
Murray J. Root