Re: IEEE-1394 problem on init [ was Re: Linux 2.4.21-rc1 ]

From: Ben Collins (bcollins@debian.org)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 09:48:58 EST

> As for 2.4.21, well, we want something pretty well tested. Will this
> be the case with your new mega-patch ? I don't think so. The safest
> is to go back to a version which worked. At least the bugs of that
> version are known, which is not the case for the new version.

BTW, have you even tested the patch? I can almost guarantee is is more
stable than what was in -pre7 (outside of the one small fix I had to
apply for the IRM looping). The -pre7 code has loads of irq disabling
problems and dead lock issues, not to mention the race conditions.

The problem you see with the irq disabling around kernel_thread() may
not be there in -pre7, but that's only because the shared data with the
thread was not protected from a race condition that causes an oops in
some not-so-rare cases.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/