Re: IEEE-1394 problem on init [ was Re: Linux 2.4.21-rc1 ]

From: Ben Collins (bcollins@debian.org)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 14:05:45 EST

> > > The problem you see with the irq disabling around kernel_thread() may
> > > not be there in -pre7, but that's only because the shared data with the
> > > thread was not protected from a race condition that causes an oops in
> > > some not-so-rare cases.
> >
> > I confirm that your patch at least solves the initialisation issues.
> > I'll test later with some ieee devices and I'll report back if I found
> > other issues.
>
> Any news on that, Stelian ?
>
> I guess Ben's mega patch (and yes, I also consider it a megapatch for
> -rc) has to be applied. I just mailed him asking about the possibility
> of getting only fixes in and not the cleanups, but I guess that might be a
> bit hard to do _today_. Right Ben ?

Yeah, it's pretty hard. I didn't do all these changes with the intent of
it being a 2.4.21 thing, but it definitely dragged on to the point where
I had no choice, and pulling the fixes out of the major work became too
much work.

> And about the sweet complaints about -pre timing, I will release -pre's
> each damn week for .22.

If you could just commit patches to the bk repo as you get them, instead
of holding them for a month and dumping them all in at once, it would be
easier to follow things. Instead, we got several huge lumps late in
2.4.21-pre's.

Wasn't my intent to bash you, but I will admit that 2.4.21 has been a
pain in my ass because of the cycle :)

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/