Re: How did the Spelling Police miss this one?

From: Herman Oosthuysen (Herman@WirelessNetworksInc.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 10:33:50 EST

To many programmers, computer code 'is' religion. That probably
explains the migration of religious terms into computer speak. Also, to
outsiders, computers are magic, which is a close cousin of religion, so
using the term 'canonize' in its full religious fervour, would be very
apt...

It has been revealed to me by Google, that the Apache project uses
'canonicalize', so the web Gods seem to be looking kindly upon this use
of the term.

Being of Germanic descent though, 'canonicalize' appears to me, to be a
'Germanism'. I do not think it came to be in an act of bad faith, but
came forth simply due to the culture of some users of the term. However,
that doesn't mean that we should bless the use of 'automatize' instead
of 'automate' and 'canonicalize' instead of 'canonize' in English, it
being a sufficiently convoluted pagan language already.
;-)