RE: [patch] printk subsystems

From: bob (bob@watson.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 13:22:38 EST

There is both a qualitative difference and quantitative difference in a
lockless algorithm as described versus one that uses locking. Most
importantly for Linux, these algorithms in practice have better performance
characteristics. There is a whole body of literature on lock free
algorithms (see Maurice Herlihy's 1988 PODC Wait-Free Synchronization
paper). When a process holds a lock nobody else can make progress. If
that process is interrupted everybody waits. Furthermore, when designing
for scalability, queue locks are used, which considerably exacerbates the
problem (see Kontothanassis TOCS Feb 1997). Locking reduces concurrency,
lockfree and lockless algorithms allow increased concurrency (both
processes can simultaneously log their events once they've reserved space).

The lockless tag is indeed correct, accurate, and helpful in identifying
the characteristics of the algorithm. More of these algorithms, such as
the recent RCU work, will need to be placed into Linux for it to perform
well on multiprocessors.

Robert Wisniewski
The K42 MP OS Project
Advanced Operating Systems