Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!

From: Jamie Lokier (jamie@shareable.org)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 15:50:35 EST

Timothy Miller wrote:
> Certainly. But say the GPL allows it, and say Linus decides he wants
> it. There's nothing stopping someone else from forking it and deciding
> they'll never accept any DRM-related code into their fork.

True but if the GPL allows, nobody could prevent their fork becoming
the heart of a DRM-locked product, either.

I wonder whether the FSF shouldn't fork the GPLv3 into two versions,
according to what philosophy GPLv2 users would like to adopt for their
own projects :) (In principle, only the FSF is able to alter the
license of a many-authored GPL'd project like Linux. It would be
unfortunate if they used that special status to promote an agenda
which a large number existing GPL users disliked).

-- Jamie