Re: [dcl_discussion] [ANNOUNCE] OSDL Whitepaper: "Reducing System Reboot Time With Kexec"

From: Andy Pfiffer (andyp@osdl.org)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 15:55:27 EST

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 11:24, Timothy D. Witham wrote:
> So questions and comments are being accepted?

Sure.

> The actual values from the measurements in an appendix
> would be helpful. Including the boot time breakdown
> for the 8 way.
     On your chart, the time saved column is distracting to
> me as it is extra data.
     On the relative percentage column
> if it could be kexec/full boot that would make it so that
> I wouldn't have to go back to the text to understand the
> column.

Fair enough. The 8-way measurements aren't currently available because
that specific system has been assigned to another OSDL Lab Associate.

> Also on the kernel boot time, I think that you
> are talking about the kernel init time. So why not call
> it that?

I was hoping to avoid dancing around the semantics and interpretation of
"booted" vs. "initialized". I guess that didn't work as well as I had
hoped. ;^)

> On future and ongoing work.
> The crash dump seems to be orthogonal to fast booting. I
> would like to see future and ongoing work that applies to
> fast booting.
>
> Tim

Thanks for taking the time to generate feedback.

Andy