Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!

From: Jamie Lokier (jamie@shareable.org)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 16:08:46 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On Thu 24 Apr 03 09:44, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > It only gets _really_ bad when it becomes illegal to make your own
> > hardware :(
>
> Actually, that's where we were a few years ago with hardware, because nearly
> anything anybody would want to print on a wafer was covered by patents or
> copyrights. It's getting better by leaps and bounds. Now, a lot of patents
> have expired, a lot of non-proprietary cores are available, and it's mainly
> the EDM tools that are non-free. That's where we coders can help.

Suppose I did want to print some wafers.

Suppose, also, that I had developed a method that didn't require a
$10M+ factory.

(Also suppose I had _very_ steady hands, no dandruff, and my garden
shed was big enough :)

I'm curious - how do I go about learning what I do and don't need
patent licenses for making chips, without spending an absurd sum on
legal fees?

-- Jamie