Re: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]

From: Werner Almesberger (wa@almesberger.net)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 13:56:39 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:
> What seems to be forgotten is that the people who are locking things up
> are the people who own those things

Ownership is a cultural concept and the understanding of who owns
what, and what they're allowed to do with it, vary widely.

If I was your theocrat, and I decreed that any software written in
my theocracy belongs to the church (e.g. because all the works of
man belong to whatever deity or deities this theocracy believes
in), would you be pleased with this ? (If not, I'll have you burnt
for heresy, so you're better smiling when handing over your
work :-)

> But Garloff just shrugged it off as not his problem.

On the other hand, I'm sure you'll be eager to comply with any
orders he may have for your employees.

> The more you push back the more locked up things will become.

Yes, Larry, so give up the futile struggle, and open source BK :-)

- Werner