Re: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 16:26:42 EST

On Sul, 2003-04-27 at 19:50, Larry McVoy wrote:
> If you want to win, you win by being a creator, not a copier. That's the
> point. In my opinion, chasing the leader and copying them is a losing
> strategy and always has been. The successes have been when someone
> creates something new. So for both historical reasons and current reasons,
> copying as a strategy looks flawed. And depressing if I'm right that the
> corporations will just encrypt all the data so that copying the program
> is pointless.

You forget that there is no point creating anything new when you can't
interoperate, if need be by copying.

What good would BK be if it didnt work with GNU emacs, couldnt talk via
the internet and refused to work with a GNU C compiler ?

Even if you rewrote the lot, would you run your own telco, build your
own computers ?