Re: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]

From: Ross Vandegrift (ross@willow.seitz.com)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 19:06:35 EST

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 04:28:35PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Maybe it fuels you, it certainly doesn't fuel me. As far as I know,
> nobody who works here has ever run clearcase or looked at their file
> formats. All of the clearcase knowledge I have has come indirectly
> through customers who have told me how it works. At this point I have
> a pretty good idea how it works but at no time did we ever attempt to
> emulate or improve on clearcase.

Well, but if you made a more advanced SCM tool, then yes, you improved
on Clearcase. Therein lies the flaw in your arguement - you're saying
the community needs to start really innovating, but really - what's
innovation?

If BK is better off because of user feedback, and you said above those
users used Clearcase, BK is at least part a copy of Clearcase. There's
no way around that - every person who creates has influences. In BK's
case that influence is indirect, but c'mon - without that feedback,
which is based on Clearcase, BK would be something different.
You're asking people to not have any influences.

> I'm much more interested in the definition of "best".
> What is the best answer? OK, let's build that.

How did you find that "best", if it didn't come failed attempts? Were
you born with an image of the ideal SCM tool in your head? Did you
stumble upon it in the woods one day? I don't see how the idea could've
developed without influences.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon. He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them. - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/