Re: [RFD] Combined fork-exec syscall.

From: dean gaudet (dean-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 20:35:41 EST

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Mark Grosberg wrote:

> I would think on large, multi-user systems that are spawning processes all
> day, this might improve performance if the shells on such a system were
> patched.

more relevant is a large multithreaded (or async model with many
connections per thread/process) webserver spawning cgi. otherwise you pay
the costs of duplicating the mm and even if you use F_CLOEXEC (which has a
cost-per-connection) you have to pay for scanning the open fds.

if you look at such webservers they tend to have a separate process just
for the purpose of spawning cgi/etc. and use some IPC to pass the data to
the cgi spawner.

-dean