Re: [RFD] Combined fork-exec syscall.

From: Davide Libenzi (davidel@xmailserver.org)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 22:03:12 EST

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Davide Libenzi wrote:
>
> > This is very much library stuff. I don't think that saving a couple of
> > system calls will give you an edge, expecially when we're talking of
> > spawning another process. Even if the process itself does nothing but
> > return. Ulrich might be eventually interested ...
>
> POSIX has a spawn interface, see <spawn.h> on modern systems.
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
( You want to make me pay for the last question about swapcontext in our
old glibc environment, don't you ? ;)

If I read the specification correctly, the posix_spwan() interface will
not solve scalability problems due to huge file tables. If I read it
correctly, and if you have M files currently opened and you want to
keep/dup only three files, you have to drop (M-3) close actions plus 3 dup
actions. To solve such problem you'd need a default-all-closed option plus
3 dup actions. That inside the kernel will translate in a brand new file
table plus 3 links.

- Davide