Re: Mailinglist problems?

From: Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@zmailer.org)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 06:24:34 EST

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:23:44PM +0200, Oliver Feiler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as of late I'm getting a lot of messages with a couple of days(!) delay
> delivered. Others from the same thread come in with no noticable delay.

  For some reason (while I was away from network), GMX.NET servers
  have decided that vger.kernel.org is mail-bombing recipients.

  There are some 30-40 recipients of linux-kernel list at GMX.NET,
  and there are (varying) 100-300 emails per day for each of them.

> For example
> Replies to this came in long before. Anyone else having these sort of problems
> lately or should I go flame my email provider? :)

  I forwarded to you, and all other GMX.NET domain subscribers the letter
  I have already sent to postmaster@gmx.net -- but you (as their
  customers) may have more weight that an external nobody, like myself...

  Most common troubles that users have are:
    - "Relaying denied" (in its many forms
          --> http://vger.kernel.org/mxverify.html )
    - "Mailbox full" (these lists are of HIGH VOLUME!)
    - DNS-lookup/connection timed out for 4+ days

  Then come various weird things, like overzealous reg-expr message
  content filters, broken MTA configurations (don't people ever
  test that their changes do work ?), etc...

> Bye
> --
> Oliver Feiler <kiza@(kcore.de|lionking.org|gmx[pro].net)>
> http://kiza.kcore.de/ <-- homepage
> PGP-key --> /pgpkey.shtml
> http://kiza.kcore.de/journal/

/Matti Aarnio -- co-postmaster of vger.kernel.org