Re: [Patch] DMA mapping API for Alpha

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@infradead.org)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 06:20:14 EST

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 03:05:32PM +0400, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 08:38:27PM +0200, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> > As part of my effort to get the Jensen up and running on the latest
> > 2.5 kernels, I have introduced some support for the DMA API, rather
> > than relying on the generic PCI based one (which introduces problems
> > with the EISA bus).
>
> Since the Jensen is the only non-PCI alpha, I'd really prefer to
> keep existing pci_* functions as is and make dma_* ones just
> wrappers.

Well, pci_* is a legacy API in Linux 2.5 now. Currently architectures
can either implement dma_* or pci_* and the other one will be emulated,
but I hope we can get rid of this mess soon and dma_* is the one
implemented on the architectures and pci_* emulated in a single
place - and maybe it can go away two stables series from now.