Re: PROBLEM: nfsroot.c + ipconfig.c (2.4.20)

From: Hans-Peter Jansen (hpj@urpla.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 07:28:03 EST

[Cutted Trond, since he's surely busy with more important things]

On Saturday 26 April 2003 12:33, Tobias Brox wrote:

> with harddisks. I'd like to hear success-stories from people that
> have managed to do a diskless boot with a kernel of version 2.4.20 or
> more recent.

No problem here with 2.4.20, 2.5.any not yet tested. I'm doing diskless
since ages, but my setup seems to vary from yours. In short, I'm using
etherboot, tftp and mknbi. E.g.:

mknbi-linux $kernelimg $ramdisk --rootdir="/netboot/%s,v3" --ip=rom \
--append="$append"

%s gets replaced by the loader with the systems ip address. It refers to
a symbolic link, which is pointing to the real root dir.

I'm able to boot standard distri (install-) kernels (SuSE) this way,
which makes updating a hitch, through I prefer to run my home rolled.

Mangling a standard distri to run diskless is a bit of a hassle, but no
real problem either.

Cheers,
Pete