Re: Broadcom BCM4306/BCM2050 support

From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger (c-d.hailfinger.kernel.2003@gmx.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 08:48:06 EST

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

>>>/me wants binary only driver for these cards to build opensource driver
>>>with ability to set "interesting" frequency range.
>>>

>>It's there for Windows :) So ...
>

> Contrary to popular opinion, there is no FCC regulation prohibiting
> one from receiving some particular frequency. There is, however, a

Contrary to popular opinion, not everybody lives in the US.
Here in Germany, receiving some particular frequencies (e.g. those used
by the police) was prohibited a few years ago (I don't know exactly if
they changed the law). The argument was that some receiver types emitted
a weak signal on the frequency they were listening to (and could be
tuned to become a private radio station) which could interfere with the
low-power police devices. However, it was simply not sensible to
prohibit all radios, so they were constained to a specific frequency range.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/