RE: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]

From: Robert White (rwhite@casabyte.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 18:40:09 EST

I previously wrote a long rant on this subject in this forum (See: "the myth
of sustainable commercial software" [or something very close to that])...

The quick version:

1) the author has a right to profit from his creation
2) all ideas will be mimicked (monkey see, monkey do)
3) the author has already mimicked the ideas of others
4) others will mimic his ideas if they don't stink
5) turn about is fair play
6) An author's "creation" is his code, not the general ideas encompassed in
his code
7) this behavior is wired into the human brain, as a human can not see
something operate and not learn from that observation, and therefore be
likely to mimic the useful parts
8) if you bet the farm on your ideas about how something should be done in
software... and your business plan does not cover the fact that it *WILL* be
mimicked... write off one farm...

Using someone's code without their consent is "copyright infringement", not
"theft" as to "steal" something you must deprive the original owner of that
thing. That is an important distinction that people forget when they start
yipping on this subject.

Neither "the money he might have made" nor "the concepts implicit in the
code" are "the thing" an author creates. The code is the only thing, and
the author still has the code. So mimicry isn't theft. Period. Ask a
lawyer.

There was "no intent to create the idea of intellectual property" in the
founders heads when they put copyrights and patents into the US
Constitution. I used to have a good link to a place in Thomas Jefferson's
own writings make this clear. You can not "own" an "idea".

I will only honor the "need to own the ideas" of a software producer if they
can demonstrate that they never used any preexisting ideas in the creation
of their software. We are standing on the shoulders of giants here, and if
you opened a file, or searched a string, or added two numbers together, or
in-fect, invoked a compiler or submitted instructions to a CPU of
other-than-your-own design, you are engaged in exactly the same behaviors
(using others ideas without paying them) that you are complaining that
others might do to you.

Besides, it is provable that you can not make money in commercial software
alone, without treating the software like designer clothes, and constantly
produce new variations that are uniquely yours. (This is what game
producers do, this is also why Microsoft sells mice and joysticks, see my
longer rant for the full proof.)

The only way to keep a secret is to tell nobody. A secret once told, is a
secret no longer. The software equivalent future aphorism will be "A
program once run, grants its ideas to the public domain."

Too bad...
So Sad...
Bye bye...

Rob.