Re: Linux-2.4.20 on a 4 MB Laptop - Kernel bug?

From: Hermann Himmelbauer (dusty@violin.dyndns.org)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 05:31:37 EST

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 12:21, John Bradford wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 April 2003 04:53, Nuno Silva wrote:

> > > Maybe you striped too much and didn't include *any* console type
> > > (serial, vga or framebuffer)? :)
> >
> > Well - by chance we found another old Laptop, an IBM Thinkpad 350 (the
> > old was model 340) and found a RAM extension, so we have no 36MB RAM.
> >
> > But - guess what: The error still persists!
> >
> > I am quite clueless - maybe it has something to do with the IDE
> > subsystem? We put a 4GB 2.5'' HD in this old Laptop, but the harddisk is
> > correctly recognized by Linux (also Partition check), grub is also
> > working and it Linux also mounts the partition.
> >
> > Is there any way to get more information out of the kernel?
>
> What happens if you with with init set to be a shell? E.G. init=/bin/bash

Well, I would really like to try this - but it seems that this laptop needs a
special keyboard driver. It has a german keyboard layout and there is no way
to get some special characters, especially "/".

Normally with german keyboards, "/" is mapped on the "-" key, but not on this
one - some keys are simply dead, I can also not get the "[" and "\" etc. In
"grub" there seems to be no way cut&paste the "/" from "root=/dev/hda3"

I will try to generate a bootdisk and append it with "rdev".

                Best Regards,
                Hermann

--
x1@aon.at