Measuring CPU with Hyperthreading and Linux

From: Matthew A. Miling (mamiling@mailbox.syr.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 11:51:28 EST

Hello

Please personally CC my email address to any responses:
  mamiling@syr.edu

I am currently running a dual Pentium 4 Xeon 2.4 GHz system containing Red Hat
Linux 6.2 with the 2.4.20 kernel. The Pentium 4 Xeons report 4 cpu's to
/proc/cpuinfo because they are hyperthreaded.

My problem lies in trying to measure the CPU usage with such programs as top
or gtop. Typically, I see CPU loads in excess of 100% when I run top with
some of my signal processing applications, but not more than 200%. Is this
value out of 100%, 200%, or 400%? How does this dual, HT system kernel report
this info to the OS?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Matt

 Matthew A. Miling