Re: IBM x440 problems on 2.4.20 to 2.4.20-rc1-ac3

From: Jack F. Vogel (jfv@bluesong.net)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 13:36:24 EST

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 07:50 am, Wojciech Sobczak wrote:
> Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> > SuSE works well, at least the SLES edition does.
>
> but shoudn't it be platform independent? this is only kernel or meaby i
> need new gcc... or meaby something else?....

I has nothing to do with gcc, Alan mentioned the magic (or cursed is
probably the better choice :) word, ACPI. The kernel in SLES 8 has
the x440 blacklisted so ACPI gets turned off automagically :)

As John mentioned, you can use a generic kernel provided its
recent enough AND you configure it properly for the box.

Cheers,

--
Jack F. Vogel		IBM Linux Technology Center
jfv@us.ibm.com (work)  ||  jfv@bluesong.net (home)