Re: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 14:00:00 EST

Followup to: <1051789446.8772.13.camel@rth.ninka.net>
By author: "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 13:00, Dax Kelson wrote:
> > Current --in production-- DRM. Clearly no. Current DRM is mostly all
> > targeted to audio / video content protection.
> >
> > So, nothing that we have *today* is a response to Open Source.
>
> I can't believe nobody talks about TiVO and what they're doing (only
> allowing signed Linux kernels to boot on their machines).
>
> That is DRM, and directly in response to open source.
>
> Yet at the same time I recognize the truth in Linus's stance here.
> And personally, I'm going to speak with my walet by not buying any
> products from those fucknuts at TIVO. This is precisely the mechanism
> Linus said would decide if DRM is successful or not.

The sad part is that the earlier TiVos were eminently hackable, and it
seemed TiVo had no problem with people doing that. I suspect they've
gotten crap from DirectTV, with whom they've gotten pretty deeply
embedded. DirectTV is not exactly "hacker friendly", as the only
"hacker" they even know exist are the ones trying to crack their
access cards.

        -hpa