Re: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 18:10:20 EST

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 12:00, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> The sad part is that the earlier TiVos were eminently hackable, and it
> seemed TiVo had no problem with people doing that.

Yes, this is exactly the part that upsets me.

Let me make it clear that what they do is probably legal.

Yet I personally am offended by their behavior. You mean that I wrote a
substantial amount of code that makes your damn product even possible
yet I can't boot my very own kernel on your box? Well, thanks a fucking
lot Tivo.

See, it's not about what you're allowed to do, it's about being nice to
people especially the ones that help you.

--
David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>