Re: v4l bttv bt878 PCI on VIA KT133 chipset crashes?

From: Benson Chow (blc@q.dyndns.org)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 17:19:34 EST

David,

I've subsequently found out that the via KT133 sucks, and there's not much
that can be done.

I replaced it with a (somewhat newer Via) P4X333 chipset motherboard
(difference CPU of course) and the driver works perfectly fine.

I've heard that the KT133 and a lot of via's older chipsets cannot handle
multiple busmasters on PCI transactions properly. I suspect disabling DMA
on the harddrive may fix the problem, but I have not looked into this
possibility as I got the new machine.

Hope this enlightens...

-bc

On Sun, 4 May 2003, David J. M. Karlsen wrote:

> Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 23:21:41 +0200
> From: David J. M. Karlsen <david@davidkarlsen.com>
> To: Benson Chow <blc@q.dyndns.org>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: v4l bttv bt878 PCI on VIA KT133 chipset crashes?
>
> Benson Chow wrote:
> > Just wonderring.
> >
> > I'm getting weird crashes with running the bttv driver that comes with
> > 2.4.20 (0.7.96?) with a bt878 card. I can record fine from it, can change
> > channels, etc. - Great. Except if I keep on starting and stopping
> > mencoder (opening and closing /dev/video), it usually works for a few
> > times from a fresh reboot just fine, but after 5 times (and it's random,
> > it may not start till after 20 times) it *seems* other parts of kernel
> > space gets badly corrupted. My kswapd oopses and dies. Processes
> > cause oopses for no reason. The oopses tend to occur in disk i/o
> > routines, not in the bttv driver for some reason, and after the corruption
> > (?) occurs, all processes can and will die. The machine eventually goes
> > down hard needing a jab at the case Not exactly a graceful shutdown! The
> > machine seems to work fine if I never use the video capture card, even
> > thrashing disk and flooding the PCI network card seems to work fine.
> I had problems with 2.4.20 with the same hardware and using the program
> zapping for viewing. My box just froze. I thought maybe it was caused by
> sharing interrupts - but the machine hasn't frozen yet when I switched
> over to using xawtv instead.

[ system information deleted ]

WARNING: All HTML emails get deleted. DO NOT SEND HTML MAIL.