Re: Linux 2.5.69

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 23:41:10 EST

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Florin Iucha wrote:

> On SIS 735 motherboard, with agpgart, sis-agp and radeon loaded, I get
> this on the serial console before the machine freezes:
> agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device.
> agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 00:00.0 into 4x mode
> agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 01:00.0 into 4x mode
> Without these modules loaded, the machine is stable.

Make sure to also test with regular 1x AGP (and no fast write stuff etc).
A lot of motherboards really aren't going to like 4x and some other
settings (in particular, enabling fast writes seems to be a very iffy
proposition indeed).

Also, check if the same setup is stable under 2.4.x and possibly using the
DRI CVS tree. Radeon in particular seems to be a lot stabler in DRI these
days than it has historically been.

Indeed, one of the reasons it took me so long to figure out the stability
issues I saw was simply that there have been real bugs in direct
rendering, and I was blaming them instead and I spent a lot of time trying
to chase down the bug as an AGP or DRI issue.

                Linus