Re: Kernel hot-swap using Kexec, BProc and CC/SMP Clusters.

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 15:25:26 EST

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Steven Cole wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 12:17, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
> > On Mon, 05 May 2003 12:00:15 MDT, Steven Cole said:
> >
> > > Perhaps two uptimes could be kept. The current concept of uptime would
> > > remain as is, analogous to the reign of a king (the current kernel), and
> > > a new integrated uptime would be analogous to the life of a dynasty. The
> > > dynasty uptime would be one of the many things the new kernel learned
> > > about on booting. This new dynasty uptime could become quite long if
> > > everything keeps on ticking.
> >
> > Make sure you handle the case of a dynasty that starts on a 2.7.13 kernel
> > and is finally deposed by a power failure in 2.7.39.
> >
> 2.7.13 eh? Wow, that's optimistic. I guess Karim and others better get
> busy. Unless Linus throws in about 50 kernels with the -preX naming
> scheme like this last time. ;)
>
> Here's nice long uptime:
>
> tstad% uptime
> 12:58pm up 503 days, 1:30, 3 users, load average: 0.23, 0.04, 0.00
> tstad% uname -a
> ULTRIX tstad 4.3 1 RISC
>
> I guess Ultrix didn't have a jiffie wraparound problem at 497 days.
> That DEC 5000/200 has run almost continuously for 12 years, except for
> the occasional palace revolution/forest fire fiasco.
>
> Steven

VAXen including Ultrix start a clock at zero when booted. They
set boottime to the hwclock with the hard-to-find batteries behind
the rear door or under the board in the VAX/Station 3000. So, you
don't have a time that started in 1970 like other Unix machines
altough a conversion takes place when you actually read the time.

Raw time is in a quadword, in microfortnights (14 days / 1,000,000) =
24 * 14 = 336 hrs/* 60 = 2,160 seconds / 1,000,000 = 0.02 seconds.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).