Re: [RFD] Combined fork-exec syscall.

From: Miles Bader (miles@lsi.nec.co.jp)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 21:48:57 EST

Mark Grosberg <mark@nolab.conman.org> writes:
> And maybe on your 797.90 BogoMips super fast machine the extra syscall
> doesn't matter. But on my current server hardware (16.59 BogoMIPS) it is a
> savings.

Are you sure it's really all that bad?

The machines I use are even slower (~6 bogomips), but system calls still
seem pretty fast; I've measured them as having about a total
65-instruction overhead on my arch -- which is a lot slower than a
function call to be sure, but presumably the actual work done by the
system call ends up being more.

-Miles

--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'