PLIP Problem

From: Yann COLLETTE (yann.collette@ac-creteil.fr)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 02:51:39 EST

Hello,

I'm trying to connect a laptop to a my home computer using a PLIP
connection. On both computers, I've a Linux Mandrake 9.0 with a kernel
2.4.20.
In /etc/hosts, I have pc.home.org 198.168.0.1 and laptop.home.org
198.168.0.2
For /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny, I've followed the PLIP-HOWTO
advices.

I've configured the parport_pc module (for both pc):

insmod parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

The kernel messages are fine with this configuration.
Then I had the plip module (insmod plip).

On the laptop, I do:

ifconfig plip0 laptop.home.org pointopoint pc.home.org netmask
255.255.255.255 up
route add -host pc.home.org dev plip0

And on my home computer I do:

ifconfig plip0 pc.home.org pointopoint laptop.home.org netmask
255.255.255.255 up
route add -host laptop.home.org dev plip0

On the laptop, when I ping the pc, nothing happens and on the pc, when I
 ping the laptop, nothing happens too.

I don't knwo where I am wrong:
- Maybe my parport in not really bidirectionnal on my laptop (how can I
now if a parport can communicate ?)
- Maybe there's a problem with the way I configure the plip module (I
don't known how to dive into the kernel sources to extract informations
about how to configure a module. There are no information about the plip
module in the kernel documentation).

Your sincerely,

Yann COLLETTE