Re: Using GPL'd Linux drivers with non-GPL, binary-only kernel

From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 09:25:34 EST

On Wed, 07 May 2003 02:21:25 MDT, Eric W. Biederman said:

> Beyond that the whole closed thing is a turn-off. Which is likely to
> reduce interest in your research OS and get you no free feedback on
> the weird situations.

The target kernel doesn't actually *have* to be closed. What if the
kernel running the Linux driver was some open-but-incompatible licence?

I'll just pause to point out that the single most successful TCP stack
has to be the BSD one - which started off as DARPA-funded research, and got
lots of feedback in spite of its license.