Re: Tyan Tiger MP + 2.4.20

From: Chris (kingsqueak@kingsqueak.org)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 15:20:36 EST

I disabled APM and ACPI long ago with my Tiger MPX with dual MP
1600's. Ever since I've had no issues at all with the box. I had
random issues at boot mostly with ACPI enabled, since I had no need
for either APM or ACPI I canned them both and things are just peachy
now.

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 12:07:02PM -0400, Ken Witherow wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2003, Steve Spencer wrote:
>
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced stability issues with 2.4.20 and Tyan Tiger
> > MP mobo/Athlon MP processors?
> > I think it may be a power management issue since reboot doesn't work
> > properly; the machine screens go into power save mode but the box doesnt
> > come back up ...
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I have a 2460 wtih dual 1800 MPs. When I first got it, I had all kinds of
> weird stability issues (random hangs, spontaneous reboots, etc) which
> turned out to be a power supply that just wasn't beefy enough. Each of
> the processors can eat up to 66 watts, so by the time you throw in drives,
> AGP cards, etc, you're drawing a lot of power. I upgraded to a top quality
> 550 watt power supply and the stability issues cleared up.
>
> As for hanging after rebooting, it appears to be related to ACPI in 2.4
> not being complete, as 2.5 works as expected.
>
> --
> Ken Witherow <phantoml AT rochester.rr.com>
> ICQ: 21840670 AIM: phantomlordken
> http://www.krwtech.com/ken
>
> -

  / //_(_)__  _http://www.kingsqueak.org _/ /__