Re: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@intermeta.de)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 16:40:03 EST

Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw@ithnet.com> writes:

>On Tue, 6 May 2003 15:58:02 +0000 (UTC)
>"Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hps@intermeta.de> wrote:

>> Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw@ithnet.com> writes:
>>
>> >copy-protected I cannot do that _legally_, because breaking the protection
>> >is against DMCA. Now you just created the case where _buying_ something does
>> >not
>>
>> You live in which country? So why do you care about archaic law in
>> foreign countries? The DMCA doesn't apply (yet) to the E.U.

>This is not completely true. You can be imprisoned (and "handed over") even as
>E.U. citizen to US for violation of US laws. E.U. signed a respective

Only if it is a crime by E.U. standards, too. Copying a CD isn't (yet).

[...]
>of the new german Urheberrecht which is said to come somewhen this autumn.
>There is a clear statement that private copies are illegal after that passed
>parliament.

The proposed change to the german law is consided unconstitutional
by many lawyers (and if the current governement is really stupid
enough to pass the law, it will almost surely get shot down by the
german supreme court.

>> Copying a CD for private use is perfectly legal here in Germany.

>Just wait 6 month and see...

I'm pretty sure that Germany will not get pressured into an US-like
DMCA. We will have to obey E.U. law in the end and in the E.U. there
are some countries with more backbone than ours (France, e.g. who
basically spit on anything that comes out of the U.S....).

        Regards
                Henning

Java, perl, Solaris, Linux, xSP Consulting, Web Services freelance consultant -- Jakarta Turbine Development -- hero for hire - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/