Re: Undo aic7xxx changes

From: Stephan von Krawczynski (skraw@ithnet.com)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 08:02:07 EST

On Fri, 9 May 2003 14:06:59 +0200
Willy Tarreau <willy@w.ods.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 12:06:48PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>
> > Justin, just to complete the picture: as I wrote some days ago concerning
> > your hint to "use the latest from ..." your latest driver does not complete
> > booting on (at least) my system but freezes - which I wrote to LKML. I have
> > not yet heard
> > anything about this issue. You cannot expect to include a newer driver
> > which performs obviously worse in some cases.
> > "Worse" here means "fails" and not "performs bad". Marcelos' decision on
> > the topic looks pretty reasonable to me...
>
> What's your setup ? Are you in SMP ?

SMP PIII 1.4 GHz, dual Adaptec AIC-7899P U160/m (rev 01)

> I was hit by a lock bug introduced near
> 6.2.30, which Justin fixed recently and included in his latest driver
> (20030502). Justin suggested to me to try the NMI watchdog to find what was
> wrong and it pointed us to a spinlock problem. Have you tried to debug
> something ?

I cannot say which version of the driver it was, the only thing I can tell you
is that the archive was called aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030410-tar.gz.

> I must say that this driver seems really robust now on my setup
> (dual athlon), but perhaps your problem is of the same order and could be
> fixed easily with some help, which would be good for you and everyone else.

I can't tell, basic problem in my setup is that it seems virtually impossible
to bring some 100GB of data onto a streamer connected to the above aic. It
crashes almost every day with a freeze and no oops or other message. I am at
the moment willing to await 2.4.21 and see, and if that does not solve it, then
I will probably go back to a dual symbios controller which I used before and
never had any glitches with.
This is a system in production and not particularly useful for debugging a lot
and correspoding downtime.

Regards,
Stephan