Re: Undo aic7xxx changes

From: Willy Tarreau (willy@w.ods.org)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 08:27:57 EST

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 03:02:07PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> I cannot say which version of the driver it was, the only thing I can tell you
> is that the archive was called aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030410-tar.gz.

That's really interesting, because I got the bug since around this version
(20030417 IIRC), and it locked up only on SMP, sometimes during boot, or
during heavy disk accesses caused by "updatedb" and "make -j dep". It's
fixed in 20030502 from http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/

> I can't tell, basic problem in my setup is that it seems virtually impossible
> to bring some 100GB of data onto a streamer connected to the above aic. It
> crashes almost every day with a freeze and no oops or other message.

I had the same symptom which is very frustrating, I agree. I even had
difficulties to catch the NMI watchdog output which was often truncated.

> I am at the moment willing to await 2.4.21 and see, and if that does not solve it,

Well, would you at least agree to retest current version from the above URL ?
I find it a bit of a shame that the driver goes back in -rc stage.

Marcelo, do you have some information about the setup from the people who reported
hangs to you ? Perhaps we could even ask them to confirm that Justin's updated
driver fixes their problems ?

> This is a system in production and not particularly useful for debugging a lot
> and correspoding downtime.

I certainly can understand ;-)

Regards,
Willy